Saturday, October 9, 2010

Time is a Gift

Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner.. 

These are the main meals that families usually seat altogether in the dining area to eat. For some, this is normal. For some, like me, it isn't. That every member of the family should be there, sitting, say grace, eat a delightful meal and talk. Like this one family I know. As much as possible, they want to eat altogether. When the food is ready, they call up each member of the family. Whatever they are doing, important or not. They should, they need to eat as a family. Most of the time, they are complete by dinner time especially if their parents are in town. Of course there are occasions that some of them may not be present because of other commitments but they make up to it. And you know the best part of it, they talk. Share stories, thoughts, jokes, learning, or whatever. They even can spend two to three hours talking, in their dining room. At first, it seems weird for me. For I grew up with the opposite family they have. My father won't allow that idea, talking with each other while eating. We can only talk when he asked something that we just answer back or if we have a visitor who talks during meal. I am not sure the real reason but, I think he just want to eat quietly or I think talking while eating is a disrespectful thing to do for the food for him. I really didn't get the real reason though. So when I became a regular guest with this family, my first reaction was, "How long is this going to be? My butt can't stand to seat any longer!". It is uncomfortable and I honestly don't know how to be in their conversation that long. But as time passes by, I finally appreciate the whole idea of it. This is right! All family should do this. And if one day, I got my own family, I want to remember and follow this. 

Why? It is the perfect time that you can get to talk to each member of the family and everyone can be part of the whole conversation. Like every member of the family even the young ones can participate and learn to whatever conversation the family are into. It is an interaction that bonds the family and at the same time enjoys a delectable meal together. And it is actually a form of togetherness, a sharing that gives importance to what a true family really are. I salute every parents who practice this. Your children may not know the real advantage and may not be vocal about it but deep in their heart, they know you have given them a special bonding time every meal, each day. So I guess, it is not bad to talk while eating right, just make sure your mouth is not full.



"Time is your most precious gift because you only have a set amount of it. You can make money, but you can't make more time. When you give someone your time, you are giving them a portion of you life that you'll never get back. Your time is your life. That is why the greatest gift you can give someone is your Time."- unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment