Thursday, January 20, 2011

I Heart Banoffee Pie

This is my own version of the famous English pastry based dessert Banoffee Pie. Originally, it is made by banana, cream and toffee from boiled condensed milk (or dulce de leche). It's base are made up of crumbled biscuits with butter or the common Crushed Graham biscuits. Some recipes includes chocolates or coffee on it. But in my own version of the Banoffee Pie, I will add one of my favorite ingredient, cream cheese! This is an experiment, I haven't tried this one before, I just hope the flavor will blend well perfectly. Well, we'll see the verdict after dinner time.

Here's my own recipe just in case you want to try it too. It is so easy that you can just do this anytime you want. Enjoy!

Ingredients:

1 can   300ml Milkmaid Full Cream Sweetened Condensed Milk (for me, this is the best brand)
1 pack 225g Magnolia Cream Cheese (but I preferred Philadelphia Cream Cheese, our nearest grocery store run out of stock) 
            Sugar
1 pack Crushed Graham Biscuits 200g
1 stick  Magnolia Unsalted Butter
3 pcs   Banana (Lakatan)
            Elle & Vire Whipping Cream
            Gelatine Powder (optional)
            Cocoa Powder or Chocolate Shavings (optional)

Procedures:
1. Caramelized your condensed milk first by, boiling the can into a pot with 3/4 full of hot water. Let it boil with the can in it for 1 and half to 2 hours. Let it cool, open the can and set aside.
2. Usually, we used a pie pan in preparing the pie so we can achieve the pie shaped banoffee pie. But in my case I used 2 kinds of containers for my dessert, one with a heart shaped stainless steel molder with a plate as my base instead of putting an aluminum foil and a rectangle glass pan. It's your dessert anyway, so you can just do what you want. :)
3. In preparing the base, just mix the crushed graham and the melted butter together. If you think the butter is not enough for the graham and it is still dry and crumbly just add more butter but not too much. Some add a bit sugar on it just to add a bit sweetness, but it's optional. Then pour it into your pan and press it with the back of your spoon to compress it. Chill it while preparing the other ingredients.
4. After preparing the base, get your cream cheese and some refined sugar. Make sure that you're cream cheese is a bit soft already. So take it out earlier maybe 2 hours before so it would be easy for you to cream it later on. Use a hand mixer or a stand mixer, whip the cream cheese until soft and creamy. Add a bit of sugar depends on your taste and mix it a bit. A 1/2 tablespoon of sugar is enough for me. You can use any kind of sugar, refined sugar is recommended because it won't affect the color of the cream cheese upon mixing but if you want, adding coco sugar or muscovado sugar with cream cheese is great too.
5. After mixing the cream cheese, spread it evenly on top of your biscuit base and chill.
6. Now, get your bananas and peel it off. Cut it into round shapes evenly and spread it in top of the cream cheese. Now drizzle the caramel on top of the bananas. Just put enough caramel, not too much so it won't be too sweet.
7. Prepare your whipping cream. Actually you can use any cream you want. Cheap good cream you can use is the Nestle All Purpose Cream, just refrigerate it to harden a bit and spread it on top. Or you can use real whipping cream, for me, I like Elle & Vire whipping cream. I sometimes add gelatine on it if I want some texture like what I did on my cake. Since I want the cream to be in bulb design, just want to make sure the cream to be stable, I add a bit gelatine on it after whipping it until stiff peak. Or if you nearest store have whip topping with a good brand, this will do too to avoid using gelatine but whipping cream is the real thing, meaning more creamier.
 8. So since I have some spare caramel and no plans on using it in the near future, I pipe it on top as my design. As I mention earlier, you can put chocolate shavings on top, chocolate chips, cocoa powder or chocolate syrup for additional taste and color on top of the cream.


So, that's it. so Pretty! :)





After dinner:
Yummy!
Perfect!
The caramel is not too sweet, just right!
So cute!
I love it!

- That's the verdict. I guess it's delicious since they ate the whole cake at once. But I guess the whole family is too kind. But honestly, it's good. Liked the combination of the caramel and cream cheese. The cream cheese helps the caramel not to be too sweet and make every bite not so sinful yet still sinful.

But life's too short, EAT DESSERT FIRST! :) 8 

No comments:

Post a Comment