Monday, October 11, 2010

Bridal Shower

Weddings bells are coming, a bridal shower is a must! That's the trend nowadays. A bridal shower according to Wikipedia is a gift-giving party held for a bride-to-be in anticipation of her wedding. Usually the maid of honor or the bridesmaids (bride's best friends) or one or more close friends of the bride-to-be host and organized this kind of event. 
But when you hear the word "bridal shower", first thing that will come up in your mind is aside from the gift-giving are an exclusive girl party in a bar or an exclusive place with a hired hunk dancer wearing only a bikini brief or in a sexy costume. And he will do a sexy dance with the bride-to-be, letting her touch his body and let the bride-to-be dance as well. Just the thought of it seems exciting. Ha ha! But bridal shower are not only limited to these kind of party. There are actually different kinds of bridal shower ideas I heard, read and watched that seems promising too. But last night, I attended my boyfriend's cousin's fiance's bridal shower. And this is my first bridal shower I attended. It's not that I'm still young or something but it's just that I never got a chance to attend or ever got invited to a bridal shower before (actually I got an invitation once from a college friend but I didn't make it because I am out of town that time). And just right now, I feel so guilty! Because while I am thinking why I haven't got invited to this kind of party, I remembered that my best friend who got married like 4 years ago didn't had any bridal shower at all. Which is suppose to be my responsibility as a best friend and as a maid of honor! My God! I owe her a party, don't you think? Is it too late already? I can call it "Post Bridal Shower" right? after 4 years. I am crazy! Well, I think you can't blame me. Maybe the reason why I didn't came up with the bridal shower thing is because I don't agree with  the marriage, that's one. Second, the wedding is announced just few months before, we are all busy with the preparation and everything already. Third, maybe there will be another wedding with a more better husband. : ) I think I like the third reason most, so I can still make up to her. (Bitter?! yes I am! I just don't like him for her period).

Anyways, back with my first bridal shower whom I attended last night. So this party is hosted by my boyfriend's aunt and the groom's mother, organized by my boyfriend's sister. The bridal shower theme is "Book Bridal Shower". since groom's family and the bride-to-be love books. So each one of us who's invited are asked to bring a gift for the bride-to-be according to the theme. So from the theme title, you'll know that it is a wholesome party and guests are not at the same age as ours. You know what I mean. So, the venue is at the groom's mother house. Almost every women in the groom's family (it is not a big party actually, we are only around 15-20 persons) and the bride-to-be's mother are there to celebrate. I am actually the only girl there who is not an official part of the groom's family but still I am happy that they consider me already as part of their family. The party is just a simple one, a bit heavy merienda (snack) party with a lot of sharing and more talks and the gift-giving which is the main event. Mostly, they gave her recipe books in different dishes, one gave her a really nice reading lamp and a cute notebooks, but me, I gave her a "Lover's Encyclopedia". It is actually my boyfriend's idea since the bride-to-be is a bit conservative and a bit shy. But i guess she can use all the information. It is actually a good book. :) Anyways,  as I was saying. Aside from the book I gave, everything seems simple and wholesome but the meaning of this bridal shower party is deeper than what you think.
A good buy as gift for a bridal shower party.
Why? The thought that, the groom's family initiated the shower party is already a big thing. It is already a form of welcoming the bride-to-be in their family open arms. They can actually just say that they are happy she will be part of their family soon individually or something during the wedding or just say it personally after the engagement  party. But by inviting every girl in the family, makes it more interesting because the bride-to-be will get a chance to meet every women of her future husband and will get a chance to know them better before the wedding. Belongingness is important, especially if the group you want to be accepted are the family of the man you love. There are stories of marriages that they don't like their husbands family or vice versa. So a bride like her is lucky not only to be married to a person she truly loves but found a new family that can accept her as she is. I like a bridal shower with hunk dancer too you know, but if I get to choose between the two, I like the simple groom's family bridal shower better. But if I can get both, much better! haha! :) Maybe, other groom's family can get this idea and make their new found member of the family feel more welcome and comfortable, but only if they really want to. : )


"In every life's journey, you can never enjoy everything alone and you can never get through it alone too. You need family, friends and someone who will be there for you without questions an judgment. Share all the things you have. To make it more meaningful share with someone you trust and love." - kuwaderno

No comments:

Post a Comment